The Falsely Accused and Attorneys who represent them

This site is dedicated to those who have been falsely accused of some type of child abuse and for the attorneys who represent them.

The National Innocence Project has exonerated, based upon DNA evidence, hundreds of persons who were convicted of atrocious crimes including capital murder and/or rape. A large number of those persons had confessed to crimes they did not commit. Considering that most cases of child abuse do not involve DNA evidence, one can only guess at the number of people in prison that are innocent. The fact that a person has been accused or charged and, possibly, convicted of the crime does not mean that they were guilty of the crime. There are many reasons for this phenomena that are touched upon in this site.

In the large percent of sexual abuse cases, there is no physical evidence or eyewitnesses. Medical exams are routinely “normal”. Yet, people are still convicted based upon a complainant and hearsay/vouching testimony by so-called “experts”. Especially disturbing are the cases where repeated, penile pentration was alleged, yet the medical exam was “normal” with what is considered an “intact” hymen.

In alleged Shaken Baby and other alleged physical abuse cases, there is seldom a search for an “equally competing hypothesis” for causation of any injuries. In most cases, the presumption is made that the injurie(s) were non-accidental and therefore must have been inflicted by someone. What is not commonly known is that in many of these cases, there is a gigantic dispute among medical experts as to whether a particular injury was accidental versus non-accidental or whether there is some non-abusive cause of the condition or injury.

The search for the truth regarding a child abuse allegation involves “The Law, the Science, the Myths, the Reality”. No one wants a guilty child abuser to go unpunished. On the other hand, there is a sentiment in the general public that it is “better to err on the side of safety” which translates into that “it is better to convict 10 innocent people to make sure we get the one guilty person”. That is, unless they are the person accused or a family member or friend.

Justice can be served when people educate themselves on the issues involved and let reason, rather than emotion, rule the day. We seek justice not only for real victims, but for those who have been ajudged a child abuser when they have not abused anyone.

This entry was posted in Blog, Homepage. Bookmark the permalink.

393 Responses to The Falsely Accused and Attorneys who represent them

1. ahsley says:

I need help I stay in LA and they are trying to close my sons case. Its been open for 3 years and now they are trying to close it after finding out I am almost done with what they asked. I dont have much right now all I want is my baby back. I was never given a minute order. My whole case there is certain paper work that they have that I don’t.

• admin says:

Your lawyer would have the minute order and you have the right to go look at your file in your lawyers office. Send him/her letters asking questions and document if he/she does not respond. If it is a public defender that represents you then this documentation will help you when talking to his/her boss. If you go to court, tell the judge that the lawyer isn’t talking to you.

2. Richard says:

Hello, My name is Richard and my wife and i are being charged with two counts of CA.PENAL CODE 273(a) (willfully trying to cause death to our children)and CPS has taking our kids from us because my 7 year old son William (who has Autism) got out of our home and made it down the street. The local police were called when a neighbor saw my son running down the culdsac. They are saying that my wife is not fit to care for our children and i am negligent for leaving them with her.They know nothing about children with Autism and whats called WANDERING. anyway, they arrested my wife and i and called CPS who took our kids due to no support. Which means there was no one to care for the kids. Now they CPS is trying all they can to keep our children( I believe for financial gain). The public defenders who are representing us (cause we used all our savings and retirement to bail out, cant afford a real lawyer) seem to be on their side.
    My wife and I are VERY AFRAID that CPS WILL KEEP OUR CHILDREN AND THE COURTS ARE GOING TO SEND TWO LOVING PARENTS TO PRISON. just a brief of who we are is: we have been together since we were 15yrs old (now 45) we have 6 amazing children. 4 girls 2 boys. Our oldest daughter is a decorated V.F.W (Iraq and Afghanistan)@^yrs old, our second daughter is a California wild land forest fighter 23yrs. old.
    Our third daughter is 19 and runs a catering business. then we have our fourth daughter who is 10yrs. old and being just that, A 10 year old little girl. then we have our boys ( well CPS has them)William H. who is & and was diagnosed with Autism and our 4 yr. old Alfred B..
    I have worked in the HVAC field for 27yrs. and my wife has been an employee for the local schools where she is(was) trying to get in with working with children with special needs.
    TO END THIS “WE ARE BEING WRONGFULLY ACCUSED AND OUR FAMILY RIPPED APART OVER THIS> AND I MUST MENTION TO YOU THE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE BEING DONE TO MY SON WILLIAM WITH HIS DISABILITY.
    Please if there is anyone that can help us through this terrible ordeal. we would be forever grateful
    Thank you all for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Richard and Family
    Modesto CA,

Dear Richard,
      Call the office for the name of a lawyer we know well in Modesto. I do not know if she can help but she might be able to point you in the right direction. Our number is 419-865-0513.

3. Renee says:

I gave birth to my baby girl in March 2011. I was promised to get her back in two weeks as soon as forensic test came back from Malibu California. The test came back ALL negative! The following Monday I went to court and my public defender said that I couldn’t subpoena the person that took the test in Malibu California. And I wasn’t getting her back in two weeks. I did everything in my case plan. Never tested positive for drugs. My mother was gonna get custody of her, since I lived in a house next door to her with a different address. My baby was put up for adoption and I lost my parental rights. I was treated unfairly and my rights were violated. I demand her back!

Dear Renee,
      Your story is very sad and unfortunately not so uncommon. I would be very surprised if you had any legal remedies after this much time. Did you appeal the termination? If not, you should talk to a lawyer to see if there is anything you can do.

4. Heather says:

I am seeking missouri attorney for a false allegation reportedly by a child not living in my home. I am in a cps case

Dear Heather,
      Call the office at 419-865-0513. When know several really good lawyers in Missouri.

5. Janet says:

Please help I am currently going through a tough situation. My husband was accused of child abuse. The case began about this time last year he has fully cooperated with police who have interviewed my husband and myself. Child protective services came to our home and made him leave for about 4 months they released him to come back home. After he was allowed to come back home we did not hear from the detective about the case again. He was arrested the other night for warrant that was put out regarding this case. I have tried to look for lawyers in the state of Oregon who help the accused but I can only find lawyers who help the defendant. I don’t know what to do. My husband and I have 6 children together. I just want my family back. I don’t know what to do. Any help information that is provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Janet,
      I know several lawyers really good criminal lawyers in Oregon who deal with these cases. Call the office for a referral. Our number is 419-865-0513.

6. Richard says:

I am charged with 3rd degree sex abuse of a 16 year old, and am innocent. Under what circumstances could my recorded interview with the police be ruled inadmissible? We can show that the last 20 minutes of my interview are not on the DVD. Would that fact alone make my entire interview inadmissible in Iowa? We also think there may have been at least one place on the DVD recording where my answer to a question has been deleted. Should we be asking for a transcript of the interview? Are they legally required to provide us with a transcript? What motions should my attorney be filing to get my interview ruled inadmissible?

Dear Richard,
      Depending on what is in the recording a lawyer makes his/her decisions about suppressing the recording. If the recording has been tampered with it is up to the defense to prove it. There are experts out there that can determine if a tape has been edited. Yes, you do need a “certified transcript” so it can be relied upon in court proceedings. Have your lawyer give us a call and we can talk to him and make suggestions. We are not lawyers so I cannot give legal advice but I can make suggestions to the lawyer. He/she can call us at 419-865-0513.

7. D_S says:

I have been falsely accused of being a child abuser by the alleged victim’s mother and she is going all over town spreading to everyone that i did such a thing when I didn’t. Should I hire a lawyer and sue her for the false accusations and about telling everyone a lie?

Dear DS,
      First you need to consult a lawyer and protect your Rights. After that, if you can PROVE (not just believe) she is the accuser and the allegations are being made “not in good faith” then maybe you can get around the immunity issues. I suspect you will find most lawyers not interested but there have been a few who have done just what you are thinking. Remember, first protect yourself!

8. Rena says:

on was falsely accuse and unjust in court. We had a paid the and lawyer that mis-rpresented my son case my daugther was the key witness
    at the time and the counsel told me my dauther can’t go on the stand to testify what went on that day and what my daugther saw she was also a young at time but very smart. like my son was 9yrs. older than my daugther, The White girl was older than my daugther my daugther saw her couple yrs later in the supermarket and ask the girl why did you tell a lie on my brother the girl reply my stepfather and mother made me said he did’t it my dauther was trying to talk to the girl more but her mom apporach her and told her to stay away from my daugther that she not allow to talk to my daugther. The girl parent was forbiding to come to court because they were unfit parent’s but they allow the girl to go back with them everyone live in the community well known them as drug abuse the girl ran away from home about 3 or 4 days before they falsely accuse my son. the cops and dogs found her in the woods cuddy up with a stuff animal with blood on her dress she had ran away from home. the Atty that represent my son had show me the girl dianosis of the gril she had a STD the atty. told me I must not let anyone know he show me. My son had his doctors appointments never treated for any STD’s and never had a STD. Also my son was sentence with a 20 yrs probation and serve 5yrs in prison for false crime he did’nt do thier was never a DNA done befoe they sentence my son also the PD dept took my son shorts from my house a year later Iwas beng harresed bythe dective
    until i made a complaint to the town hnll I did’nt see the dective no more but the fact remins my son and me and my daugther is going so much pain for a false statment so that drug abuser can state money from the state to support thier dirty drug habbits what wrong this picture but this is a nice young man that had his whole youth freedom taken away from him lies and money from drug abuser my son trying to finish college that have on semister to finish but everytime he tries probation violated him for this false crime he did’nt do he probation had him kick out of school and told him he can’t speak about GOD and JESUS in his office or he will violated my son my son and my life is so many problems for carelness a madness. The judge known that my son ATTy was not in his right mind to represent my son case Ifound out 3 or 4 yrs, later the Atty that represented my son was sent to jail and dis bar from law pratice from stealing client money and mis-representation the Atty to money from me for a investigation that never happen the court never notify me. I need help this is really wrong to treat my family this way. Can we please get some help I’m single parent mom been figthing this matter for 14rs & Half My son is present in DOC custdy every time probation violate my son because of this false and unjust crime he did’nt do all the answers are thier we need help.

Dear Rena,
      With DNA & STD issues the BEST place you can go is the Innocence Project in your state. If you cannot find it, call the national number at Cordozo School of Law (212) 790-0200.

9. Diane says:

Please help me i am falsely accused of abuse and neglect in Nassau County NY. I need a lawyer as soon as possible.

Dear Diane,
      We do not post phone numbers of lawyers on the internet. Please call the office and we will be happy to make a referral. Our number is 419-865-0513.

10. Charlotte says:

My son Matthew Major was convicted and sentenced to 30 years on each count, 6 counts of child molesting in Indiana. The only evidence was her testimony. Her medical exams showed intact hymen, no evidence of being penetrated 6 times vaginal and rectal. The DNA didn’t support the claims either. Yet the jury found him guilty. His public defender did horrible defense in the case. Except for the PD bodily being beside my son that was the extent of his defense abilities. Is there any organization that can look into his case? And help a innocent man from serving life in prison?

Dear Charlotte,
      How long ago was your son’s conviction? Depending on how far along in the appeal process you are would determine the kinds of suggestions that might be made. You can call the office to discuss your son’s situation. Our number is 419-865-0513.

• charlotte says:

He was convicted on 02/21/2041. He was sentenced on 03/19/2014. His appeal is supposedly being in the process by his public defender before the deadline of April 19,2014. I’m trying to find a agency that will look at his case to see the evidence of Matthew’s innocence. Thank you for taking the time to respond,
        Charlotte

11. carrie says:

My husband has been falsely accused of touching our daughter and I feel the cops and the dcfs are now harrasing us..he’s not allowed home or to have any contact with the kids..this all started yrs ago his daughter accused him of touching her it was unfounded and soon after she told everyone how it was a lie she did it so she can live with her mom..my husband would never hurt any of our kids a friend was telling my daughter about the situation with the first daughter and next thing we know he’s being accused again I need help or info we need somebody to fight for us and get the truth this has destroyed our lives

Carrie,
      Call the office and give us an update on your current situation. 419-865-0513.

12. Caccia says:

Hello my husband has been convicted of a crime he did not commit just recently we are still waiting for sentencing although he is wrongfully accused and we have much evidence to prove he is innocent and the child was couched to say things the jury did not want to see this. I am trying to also find a way to save my husband for a fate of a lies and a life in prison for something he did not do. I am not very justice savvy and I have no more way I could think of to help him.
    I’m in California

Caccia

Caccia,
      Call the office so we can give you the best recommendations we can. The number is 419-865-0513.

13. Buffy says:

My husband has been wrongfully accused of molesting our adopted daughter and I am being charged with aiding and abetting. She is now 18 years old and denies everything, however, CPS has taken our younger children and we were both arrested and are facing multiple felony charges.

Our daughter even wrote a letter to the judge requesting the charges to be dropped.

After paying for both of our bonds, we can’t afford thousands for attorneys. Where can we turn for help?

Dear Buffy,
      It is always a dilemma when families have to choose between bail and attorney fees. As I told a previous writer, you might call defense lawyers and try to get them to take your case, there are the public defenders but you may not be eligible since you bailed yourself out, and there are law colleges. Try them all. Supply whatever lawyers you get with all the information you can. Recantation is not enough, you 18 year old needs to try to find a lawyer to help her. You can call the office and we might be able to give you more specifics based off of your facts.

14. Lisa says:

My daughter gave birth in prison and I had temporary custidy of my granddaughter . I brought her home from the hospital. A warrant came up for a case I have been fighting for not reporting to probation when I had requested that I mistakenly plead to my first felony and when I called the sheriffs dept was told it was or able so my husband and granddaughter went down to sign a promise to appear. We were asked to wait and 1hour later cps arrived took the baby. 4months have passed my daughter and I were lied to and we were never told the date of the judicial hearing only the dispositional and by then the baby is a dependant and even tho I realized what cps did with evidence with the e mail she sent me and my daughters council never arranging transport after appointed 30 days prior. 4 months have passed no hearing for trial whichwe requested over and over. She is now 5 countys away with distant relitives who want to adopt her and cps claims I am a druggies w nothing in my criminal history to support. My daughter did nothing wrong but the recomendation is tpr w no reunification. We want her back! How can theydo this! Oh yea the reason the sheriff called cps and denied my or was mistaken identity. Told cps we were unfit and had been involved in a kidnapping on the petition but was proven completely untrue so never any probable cause of or abuse or neglect. Do you know any pro Bono cps or civil rights attorneies to help. I have put all the facts w supporting documents proving our case allready .we live in Santa Cruz county. Mydaughter is in chowchilla with a 3 ye sentence she has 1yr 4 months to go for a DUI w injuy and was 2 wks pregnant when she was taken into custody and remained in custody threwout the pregnancy her 1st child at age 30. I live in Santa Cruz county

• admin says:

Sadly this organization does not have names of pro bono lawyers. I suggest you keep calling and pleading your case in an attempt to get a pro bono lawyer. Sometimes law clinics at law colleges will also do pro bono cases. There are also public defenders. Indigent accused face a much more difficult burden! Keep calling attorneys and maybe one will sign on.

Good Luck,

15. Regina says:

I have 5 kids and a single mother after i lost my job cps came to my home and removed my children, i have visits with my children once a month. please help me regain custody of all 5 of my children. cps also have my children fabricating lies about me. what can i do i want my kids back.

• admin says:

You will need to have a lawyer advocate for you. Again you can call us and we can talk more specifically to see what we can recommend.

• Lisa says:

Thank you I lost your site I am learning how to write a writ of mandate and my daughter I am teaching her a writ of habeas corpus. Its us against now 6 attornies 2 sheriffs 4 DFCS and 1 judge and 1 court clerk all abuse of discretion. Jessica’s attorney and the court system have no morals when it comes to new moms incarcerated. She has CDC behind her tho and if we win she has been accepted in the mother infant program and can do a 1 year residential treatment program for new mothers and infants that is saving her a bed if she wins and can get custody back
        Pray for us. The next hearing If we don’t win this appeal is TPR with adoption in October.Thanks

16. april says:

Yeah my boyfriend was fausly accessed of sexual abused by my daughter it has torn my family apart he has a lawyer but the lawyer say wait and see what happens that scares me on what will happen do u have any advice

• admin says:

You and your boyfriend need to ask very specific questions regarding the lawyers trial strategy. You need to supply the lawyer with all the information you can but remember never to give away original copies. Keep the originals until close to trial! Stay on the lawyer, nicely at first.

17. Leigh says:

My boyfriend has been accussed of 3rd degree sexual abuse to a 14 year old .
    Her medical report states a fully intact hymen and no recent trama to the area and she took her exam 13 days later . There was no dna evidence and it came back inconclusive and they had the sheets from
    Bed and the shorts she was wearing that evening . Can you refer a good attorney for this in iowa around Des Moines ? This charge is ruining a beautiful family’s life .

Dear Leigh,
      We actually can make a referral to a good lawyer in Des Moines. You can call the office 419-865-0513 and we will give you the name and number.

18. Scott says:

I need an attorney in nys.my x has falsly
    accused myself of child neglect and recently
    Accused my son of touching our daughterand this comes
    After my daughter has made several accusations
    Of moms boyfriend touching her to a medical
    Dr and there councler. Cps case is opened. Something is wrong
    And my son and i need help.

Scott,
      Call the office as we do not provide referrals through the blog. Our office number is 419-865-0513.

19. Cassandra says:

I have been falsely diagnosed as a pedophile since 1-16-2009. I found out in Feb 2014 and they did not remove off my record until May 2014 then doctor wrote a letter saying it was an error and she never gave me the diagnosis. This is WRONG… I want this taken care off and this would explain why I have been having so many issues with other people in this world. This document has been used to slander and defame my character and my name. This is a state agency and this was used against me without my knowledge but has caused me a lot of issues in life.

Dear Cassandra,
      We have removed your phone number. It seems to me that you need to talk to a lawyer about this. If a doctor falsely labeled you as a pedophile that is a terrible thing. I will call you today to make a lawyer referral to you.

20. Lostinarkansas says:

My twelve year old son has had allegations brought against him by a family I was nannying for. He is innocent! He was never left alone with this child as he was prone to hit, bite, scratch and in general hurt others around him. The charges were made after the mentioned child became angry with us when I refused to do something he wanted. I was informed about what he said and was informed that I could still work work for them but my son was not welcome in their house. That was needless to say unacceptable to me and I quit. They became angry and reported to CPS only after I quit. We now have a open case with them and I do not know what to do… I am a single parent and can barely afford daily expenses and as we live in a small town and these aerie affluent people I am so scared they will ruin my son’s future.

Dear Lostinarkansas,
      Depending on which court you end up in will depend on what your options are. You might want to call legal aid to see if they will give you advice. If not, you can try law colleges that have law clinics. I know that sounds scary but these are law students supervised by their professors and most of them are pretty eager to do a good job. If you end up in a courtroom, you will be able to get a court appointed lawyer. There are some really terrific public defenders and it is the luck of the draw but when you do not have the funds or family who will help, your options become limited.

There are many blogs out there that will advise you to exercise your rights and not let CPS around or refuse to talk to them. Most of the time, I would probably agree with that IF it were a criminal matter. This however is not and if you do not have a legal advocate talking for you and you fail to talk to them then the only information they have to make a legally mandated decision is to listen to what is being alleged.

We are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice but look at all sides of this when making serious decisions using your head not your emotions!
      Good Luck,

21. Sonia says:

My husband was accused by his sister’s daughter of groping her. We had cps come to our house and do an investigation. A detective asked him to take a polygraph which he passed. The girl has is 16 and has a history of lying. Is their any legal mater we can take against her or her parents for making false allegations?

Dear Sonia,
      We are not lawyers and cannot give legal advise. It has been my experience not only as the Exec. Dir. of this Organization but also as Trial Consultant that unless you have clear proof that the allegation was intentionally falsely made and can PROVE it was falsely made you will most likely not get around the immunity statutes. In my opinion the immunity is the biggest problem in the child abuse arena. Everyone should be accountable but it does not work that way in child abuse cases.

You can call the office and we will make a referral so you can see if you have enough to get over the hurdle! Our number is 419-865-0513.

Good Luck,

22. Shay says:

Hey I have a friend who was arrest for something she didn’t do and now she got life in the prison… She don’t have nobody she need help with a appeal… What should she do?

Dear Shay,
      If she had a trial by Judge or Jury she will be entitled to a court appointed appeal lawyer. That lawyer may or may not ever talk to her depending on the issues in the case. She can contact the appellate public defender for the county she was convicted to see if they have been assigned to help her.

Good Luck,

23. angelica says:

It’s amazing to see how many people get caught up in the system and some get crushed by it. I fought and was able to prove my case. My attorney had a Perry Mason Moment in court and my case was dismissed but, it was not without many bumps in the road.

24. laura says:

Is this organization similar to ” the innocence project”?. i have a case that is over however…….we lost EVERYTHING my case went back n forth for years……in the beginning cps said…..”we’ll keep the newborn and give u back the older boys”….( terrible). And towards the end cps said “no matter what you do Laura….we will just keep coming in and taking them everytime the judge gives them back to you.”(disgusting)….I LIVE IN THE AREA OF THE BIG MILLION DOLLAR APPEALLS RULING. In this county they are still doing the same thing as ten years ago….. no one is talking….. Im barely coming to terms w/ what they did. i am legally disabled now. i am interested in obtaining the entire court report.

Dear Laura,
      We share many of the same goals and aspirations as the Innocence Project without their money. Due to your financial restraints, you might be able to order your court record one piece at a time. I do suggest you order the oldest hearings first. To my shock, I recently tried to get a court document transcribed from a case 10 years ago to find out the minutes had been destroyed.

Good Luck,

25. Christine says:

I am looking for information and help for a mentally disabled person who has been falsely convicted of touching a child. He has an IQ of 84 and does not understand most of what he is being told. Is there somewhere we can go to find him an advocate to help walk him through the courts and help him to understand what he is being told.

Dear Christine,
      If he is incarcerated there is a slim chance his “case manager” or “social worker” could help him. If not you can call MMRD to see if they have any lawyers that intervene in this situation.

Good Luck,

26. Brandon says:

I’ve been accused of 4 counts of child abuse to my girlfriends twin boys because a nurse saw me spank one of the children and then noticed bruises on the child’s arms and legs from the boys fighting and biting each other. I’ve always adored children and wanted to be a visitation supervisor but this is now seemly screwing up everything I’ve ever cared about.
    I’m not sure what to do or how to prove my innocence . They want me to move out of my girlfriends house and nt have contact with the children when I have literally done nothing.
    Who can I call in Washington and get advice from on CPs and what I should do?

Dear Brandon,
      There are lawyers we can refer you to in Washington but you will have to call the office. We do not publically list lawyers names for various reasons. Our number is 419-865-0513.

Good Luck,

27. corina says:

Any help in new york? Please