The Falsely Accused and Attorneys who represent them

This site is dedicated to those who have been falsely accused of some type of child abuse and for the attorneys who represent them.

The National Innocence Project has exonerated, based upon DNA evidence, hundreds of persons who were convicted of atrocious crimes including capital murder and/or rape. A large number of those persons had confessed to crimes they did not commit. Considering that most cases of child abuse do not involve DNA evidence, one can only guess at the number of people in prison that are innocent. The fact that a person has been accused or charged and, possibly, convicted of the crime does not mean that they were guilty of the crime. There are many reasons for this phenomena that are touched upon in this site.

In the large percent of sexual abuse cases, there is no physical evidence or eyewitnesses. Medical exams are routinely “normal”. Yet, people are still convicted based upon a complainant and hearsay/vouching testimony by so-called “experts”. Especially disturbing are the cases where repeated, penile pentration was alleged, yet the medical exam was “normal” with what is considered an “intact” hymen.

In alleged Shaken Baby and other alleged physical abuse cases, there is seldom a search for an “equally competing hypothesis” for causation of any injuries. In most cases, the presumption is made that the injurie(s) were non-accidental and therefore must have been inflicted by someone. What is not commonly known is that in many of these cases, there is a gigantic dispute among medical experts as to whether a particular injury was accidental versus non-accidental or whether there is some non-abusive cause of the condition or injury.

The search for the truth regarding a child abuse allegation involves “The Law, the Science, the Myths, the Reality”. No one wants a guilty child abuser to go unpunished. On the other hand, there is a sentiment in the general public that it is “better to err on the side of safety” which translates into that “it is better to convict 10 innocent people to make sure we get the one guilty person”. That is, unless they are the person accused or a family member or friend.

Justice can be served when people educate themselves on the issues involved and let reason, rather than emotion, rule the day. We seek justice not only for real victims, but for those who have been ajudged a child abuser when they have not abused anyone.

This entry was posted in Blog, Homepage. Bookmark the permalink.

1,007 Responses to The Falsely Accused and Attorneys who represent them

1. Mal says:

Hi. My husband was convicted of criminal sexual conduct with a minor 6 years ago (then he was her step father) Not even a year later the girl admitted she lied because she wanted to go live with her grandmother. Even now she has admitted multiple times she lied. Is it to late to get anything done about this? He is now on a GPS device for life and has to register as a SA for something he didn’t do.

Mal,
      It depends. An actual innocence claim may be able to be made but it is a long shot! Call the office 419-865-0513 and I will be able to chat with you and make a referral and possible recommendation. Recantation alone is not enough to win but there are other things that can be done possibly.

2. Brooke says:

Please help me if you can I need some real advice from someone who could please give me some answers! I’ve never been in trouble with the law or had dhs involved until October28th 2015 just 6 months ago I lost my 3 year old baby girl due to a tragic accident which has been proven, but that night when I got home from the hospital dhs was waiting for my other 2 girls took them out of their home placed them in foster care and didn’t even allow my family to get to my house to take them in with family. Told us they had to do this just until investigation was over and autopsy came back which took months, but when it did and proved accidental they then said it no longer has anything to do with my daughter passing (though that was their reason to begin with) told us we had to complete a case plan to get them home which we have completed and they constantly keep pulling all kind of things that can not be legal to keep our girls from returning home it has been 6 months we’ve done above and beyond yet none of that matters I know a lot of these things are not legal, but not sure how to fight it I’m paying for a lawyer who seems to be doing no good and acts as if she doesn’t know what she’s doing now they are during me and their father separately for child support when we still have custody completed a case plan which should of been the end of this big disaster continue to pass every random weekly since day 1 I need some help on what to do or what’s right and wrong our family is torn in two we can’t even grieve over the loss of our baby girl that had to leave us at just 3 much less keep our 6 and 1 year old from being torn apart they just want to be home, know when, why, etc. All the things we wish to know as well and this is causing so much in needed hurt and taring us All apart for no reason I could explain so much better not trying to put the past 6 months of hell in a short writing without the many details to keep it not too long and complicated if there’s anyway you could contact me if you could find the time

Brooke,
      Call the office 419-865-0513.

3. Mom-in-law from haidies says:

My mother in law is a narcissist. She has on her own accord removed our son. For the second time. Moving residence and moved him to what will be his 5th school already thanks to her she used connections that knew people in the children’s court that pulled strings and had the judge rule she have temporary guardianship till next hearing. Where as herself and my partner settled out of court. To calm her. She is a delusional drunk that passes out at four in the afternoon after her litre of whiskey has been depleted. Leaving my son who is five years old to tend for himself. Now a year later. She is accusing me of WAIT FOR IT SEXUALLY ABUSING MY SON…. using phrases as I stick my hairy thing in his face. This is not even the half if it she hasn’t laid any charges as yet which I find so strange if she thought which she seems to be broadcasting all over ever platform what she thinks of me. That’s not to mention how she harasses me with abusive and threatening text msges and calls in her inebriated state. Threatening my youngest son that is 2 calling him and I scum rubbish trash is her all time favourite. She loves to call me a pagan trash and my smallest a pathetic waste. I’m on the verge of …. dare I not say it!!!!

Hi,
      First and foremost, consult with a criminal lawyer as the allegation could be quite serious. You might want to have your family court lawyer hire a private investigator to prove her incompetence. IF you ever get your son away you might want to consider moving away with no contact and make it difficult for her to find you. Simple things like don’t use a mailing forwarding address because the new address eventually will find its way back to the sender! However, you cannot leave while there is any paper on you and your family.

Exec, Dir.

• Latoya Atkins says:

Write down the tome date and everything that goes on get pictures and other evidence such as text records if you have to.So, that when you see a lawyer that is great in court it will help you a great deal to help that lawyer with evidence

4. Jalynn says:

Hi,
    My husband and I have been fighting with CPS for the past 3 years to get our 2 sons back. My husband at the time was falsely accused for abusing my youngest son leaving scratches and bruises on his face. I personally was there when I checked his face earlier and witnessed the whole event of our big dog walking over him carelessly. The dog didn’t mean it and my youngest knows he was stepped on by the dog. My oldest son, as I have 3 boys was also there to witness the event.

We were homeless at the time and I had returned my 2 sons to my mother’s house so that they could be safe and go to school until I could get us into the shelter. My oldest son brought them to my mother’s home where my sister and brother-in-law collected the two boys. They called the police and reported the children abused by my husband who never touched my youngest son. When we returned them my youngest did not have a bruise but yet it was reported that there was a bruise. My husband was arrested on an APB for abuse that we had no knowledge of. When CPS case was opened the case in court they held his disability against him stating him unstable to have his kids back. Which caused more depression and stress as he was forced to go to work when he was and still is mentally not able to hold a job. I was diagnosed with depression and later fibromyalgia, and back problems. They used my pain medication against me recently having me UA’d weekly saying I’ve been overdosing. My husband fell farther into mental instability and tried to self medicate as none of the doctors we already had were not listening and we couldn’t change doctors as we are on quest medical until renewal time.It’s been little over a year and we have accomplished so much yet haven’t got our kids back. The Judge let us keep our parental rights but refused to give the kids back. The RCG’s the kids are staying with are both gay which is against our religious beliefs. On top of that the state is assisting the RCG’s in having the kids permanently adopted giving them legal custody.I found out that they were given our kids for adoption and thought they would win the parental rights. Now that we are again fighting for no adoption, the RCG’s requested to be part of our hearings and have brought their own lawyers in the interest of our children. My kids have been in 5 different rcg houses. 2 of which they have been mentally and physically abused in. The only house they trusted they were taken out off. They have even tried to have us separate so that the kids could come home which if I’m correct is against the ADA disability act. There is bias in our case and so much unjustice yet I don’t know what to do. The judge just permitted the RCG’s to take my son’s out of state and across country to Wisconsin for the summer which I didn’t agree with. Please help as I am so lost on what to do and know that most of my constitutional rights have been ignored along with the ADA disability act. Feeling overwhelmed and stressed.

Dear Jalynn,

Your story is sad but not unfamiliar. I suspect unless you and your husband pull it together by having a source of income to support the family, housing and stability, you very well may lose your children. In my experience the agencies and courts don’t care about the reasons for the situation – they just expect the situation to be straightened out. I can’t remember the last time I hear the family courts caring about ADA so I would put little stock in that argument. Further, the Constitution as we know it has little utility in family courts. It seems to me that everyone’s Constitutional Rights are violated in the courts that deal with CPS matters, but that is just my opinion!

• Jalynn says:

Problem is we have everything together and we still are not allowed to get our children back. The judge didn’t take our parental rights away CPS it pushing for the foster care parent to have legal custody when there is no reason for our kids to not come home. We have a home and can support our children. And now the court is allowing the foster parents to have their own lawyer involved in our case as to protect our childrens rights which that is what the GAL is for.

Dear Jalynn,
          Call the office to talk to me about the situation.419-865-0513.

5. A says:

Hello,
    I am wondering what I should be doing. My husband was falsely accused of hurting our daughter and he is facing time for this. He has a good lawyer on his side, but we are both scared about the situation. Any kind of help would be nice.

Dear A,
      Call the office to discuss the situation. Our number is 419-865-0513.

6. Tammara says:

My fiance was accused of rape and he wasnt around and have never seen the lady before. The accuser identify the four men that was involved but the reason the detective is accusing him is because he meet them at a bank. He never told his side of the story

Dear Tammara,
      Hopefully your fiance has a good lawyer and his story can get out.

7. Kerm says:

Hello,

I have a brother who was convicted of a child sex abuse crime back in 1997. He was 17 years old at the time. A woman accused my brother of sexually assaulting her then 1 year old child. The alleged incident occurred in a small town in Arkansas. He was arrested and questioned by police. At that time he was a minor and was questioned by police without his parents or an attorney present. He told the officers several times he was innocent and did not do what he is being accused of. They took samples of his clothing and DNA. The child was examined and found that she had not been touched. There was no evidence that related him to the crime. They gave him a polygraph and he passed it. The attorney representing my brother did an awful job. The prosecutor presented him with taking a plea and the attorney advised him to do so. The town we were from was very small and very racist town. My brother was convicted and was given 4 years in prison. However he only served 1. Who in there right mind would give a sexual predator 1 year in prison. Now he has to regestir as a sex offender. He is 37 years old today with an abundance of potential, however he is limited to crime he did not commit. He spoke with me the other day regarding this he cried and stated many times he was tired of living the way that he is. He can not get a job. he is not able to go out and have a life.
    My mother and father was born and raised in poverty and not educated. the system that was supposed to protect them only hurt them. Is there any one that could help him. I don’t want my brother harming himself. He is very kind hearted individual with so much potential. If there is any advise please help!

Dear Kerm,
      I suspect there is little if anything that can be done. When you take a plea and the registry is part of it you are agreeing to those conditions. Sometimes there are circumstances that allow you to be removed such as the degree of the crime and the laws for the state where the conviction took place. You can call the office for an attorney referral if you like. Our number is 419-865-0513.

8. Lisa says:

My son has been wrongly accused he was accused of sexually touching a little girl the mother never took the little girl yobthe doctorvdo there’s no real proof just hear say the mother instead of contacting the police instead went yo church and had people pray about it the pastor took it to the school and the pricipal was mandated to rtport it whenvyhe officer came out mind you they never contacted me st all and not even given permission to speak yo my son that has a learning disability do the police officer kept harassing him asking him overand over if he did it my son got so upset because he told the officer no repeatedly the officer made him so mad my son threatened the officer so the officer took my son to Mary k shell a mental hospital and ojve he was released came with a warrant supposably we which there were no warrant took him into custody at the juvenile Hall. Now my son has been given a ward to the state for a year to be put in a group home for no reason just because like the officer said cause he where’s the badge I need help this county has done nothing but harass my family and threaten please help

Dear Lisa,
      It is unclear where in the process your son’s case is. Feel free to have his lawyer call us if we can be of any help. Our number is 419-865-0513.

9. Samatha Morris says:

Hi my name is Samatha,
    I am in desperate need of a lawyer who can help me fight my allegations that cys has accused me of. I do have an a pro bono attorney who has been trying to defend me at several hearing and has been trying to help me get my children back home. But with that said she strongly advised me I needed to get an attorney who deals with allegations for child abuse in order for her to proceed and help me be reunited with my children again. If there is anything or any kind of help that there is to offer I’m willing to do anything to get my girls back home as it will be a year at the end of July.

Samatha

Dear Samantha,
      We do not have lists of pro bono lawyers. Sorry. You can have your current lawyer call us and we can see if we have any suggestions for him/her.

10. Sarah says:

Hi, my husband has been accused of touching our 13 yr old daughter. She wasn’t 13 at the time she was 8 I guess is what she said…we both have asked her if she has ever been touched she would always say “no mom and dad” but all of a sudden when we move out of state and away from her friends and grandparents she starts in on this!!! Now I do what any mother would do and I take her to the hospital to get checked out… And the cops were called. No evidence… But here my husband sits in county jail for 6 months now all cause she wanted to live with her grandma and be by her friends!!! Oh I didn’t mention my 2 other daughters don’t have a dad now :(

Dear Sarah,
      Call the office 419-865-0513 to talk about your husband’s case. It is important to try to do it right the first time as it is really hard (not impossible) but really hard to get someone out once they have been convicted.

National Child Abuse Defense & Resource Center

11. My names is Cassandra, and I was falsely, accused of neglect, and abuse by thee state of Louisville ky, by a soical worker, and and a woman, who adopted my children. Back in 2011. Please I feel like my children, are in danger. I need help to prove, that I am this ” bad mother”. This social worker medical kidnap my children, she did it for thee money. Yes, I have made some poor choices, in life. But, Never when I had my children. I was going college, to show my babies in life, how to be somebody. And this cps, worker lied too me in my face. My babies, has to suffer. With this Cathy Hoffman, person, who doesn’t exist. I have been depressed so bad, without my children. Please I have too get them back. And prove, that I was Never this bad mother? I need help.

12. See when my children, where placed in with thee foster mother, at that time, my children told me that Cathy, spanked Elliott, and has hurt them. And that Cathy droveto Florida, and that Cristin was going to be far away. All of this didn’t make any sense, until now. Susan medical kidnap, my babies, and in Louisville, ky. A lot of moms, proved this. And in about around thee time, Susan was retiring, so she made, 4,000 each, for three children. And b/c they where white, healthy, children. She knew that was a great check giving too her. Please my children, are in danger, and I was really lied too. I have my paperwork, and I have pics where my babies where in my care.

Dear Cassandra,
      Call the office and I will be happy to talk to you about your situation to see if I can make any recommendations. Our number is 419-865-0513.

13. ken castleberry says:

hello my name is ken castleberry and I need help for my daughter Ashley castleberry we live here in Philadelphia pa. my daughters kids were taken 4to5 months ago by dhs (child protective services) because one of her daughters a 4 year old Isabella was beaten up really badly while at the father’s for a weekend visit by the new live-in girlfriend who haves an addiction problem and has lost a kid to dhs from a previous relationship, she is currently in county jail, for an unrelated offense. dhs doesn’t even have this girl as a suspect , my daughter haves a court appointed but she’s done nothing every month theres a continuance and now today there blaming my daughter for the beating , Ashley’s lawyer tried to show evidence of texts from the father and live in girlfriend saying she was injured on their visit and gave conflicting excuses , I’ve seen with my own eyes that my daughter is being robbed of her children she in no way did this and her lawyer even is saying that dhs dropped the ball badly in this case but I feel they cant turn back now because of how wrong they are and can be sued I don’t know we need help , I’m trying to get a hold of a news channel and or a committee person because whats going on at these courts is crazy I’ve never seen anything like this , its so obvious their in the wrong it aint funny , please if anyone can see or read this please lead us into the right direction sincerely, ken castleberry .

Dear Ken,
      Sadly we here of these types of injustices every day. As far as your committee person doing anything, in our experience it would be very unlikely as most politicians hide in their offices and claim they will not get involved in legal matters. CPS is not worried about being sued as they know for the most part they have immunity. You need to find a way to get a private lawyer who can spend some time your daughters case. Public Defenders are way over worked and have very little time to spend on any one particular case. If you cannot afford a lawyer then you should start calling law offices to see if anyone is taking probono cases. You can also call the State Bar to see if they have a list of any lawyers taking free cases.

14. Crystal says:

My fiance has been divorced and in a custody battle for over 4 years now and after moving on with his life and trying to do right by his family his daughter (10) said she has been molested for 4 years! I believe she has been coerced and her mother (his ex wife) is behind this 100% but he’s sitting in jail scared and fighting for his life. Any advice please??? We are in the state of Wisconsin. Thanks.

Dear Crystal,
      Call me to discuss the details of the situation. Our number is 419-865-0513.
      National Child Abuse Defense & Resource Center

15. Hi I have a son diagnostic with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorder(A.S.D.) and when he was in the High School another student from the same Special Education she pregnant and the DNA show is my grand-child.
    We moved to San Diego when he turn 18 yrs.; and I never ask for financial assistant, because I feel supported for the especial education to my son , I was worked for hem all my life, I never thinking I will need to ask for be hes representative legal, because I’m hes mother; he act like 16, 17 yrs. old.
    In 2014 he meet a girl in the internet, and he left to meet her in person, after 4 days she came to visit and know my family after the first week she don,t back to her house she stared to say her mother moved and she say do not have house, and we trait to sen with some of her family but she mention do not have any body all the time, and by the first month stared to say are pregnant, and I talk her my son is autistic an i mention about the daughter he have and she do not care, she stared to gave hart time to my son every day also all day they argument and the police came most the time she was coming and going all the time with her mother and she contradiction her argument and be with her friends, and my son stared with Panic attacks, after 4 month she pregnant, she has a baby girl and last time she have problem with my son and I talk to my son to call the police to put this woman another place and they take her out; Know she ask for child support , and my son was 2 weeks worked in Wendy’s but he was seek (potassium drop) and they terminate, after he find another,was showing Sings in the corners of the St., they training for 3 weeks and work for 2 weeks,he was seek one more time and they terminate, before the she left She ask for Child Support my son not find job he is Not working, he is Autistic and they send documents of child support because the baby , I’m hes mother I’m in disability my elbow was broken I will back to work , hope soon ,I want to find the way to be a represent legal of my son and ask for the DNA of the baby to can see what can do to help her if is my grand-child.
    Can you help me to find the way to do that? or what can I do to help my son to continue with Therapy he need he is in depression and low-self-stimulus and place to be secure to study and work to be god citizen, and one day responsibly with hes kids.

Dear Nellie,
      Paternity testing is something that is regularly done in most courts. You might want to call the clerk of courts for your county and see if there is a form that can be filled out requesting the DNA testing. Have you contacted legal aid to see if they will help your son? You can also call the state bar association to see if there are any lawyers taking pro bono cases.

16. Diane Burnett says:

I need a lawyer to possibly represent my daughter in an alleged child abuse case. It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve seen are spoken to my daughter. The judge agreed with CPS that I would only be allowed “therapeutic visits”, which has not occurred and it is going on 3 wks. She is not even allowed to speak with her father or aunt. They took her cell phone away to insure she is not contacted by anyone. She is 17 and her birthday is Sept 8th, she continues to state that I did nothing to her to cause these few bruises that they have multiplied x’s 11. I have a lawyer, not the best, but she (my daughter) needs to be heard, as she is a bright and artistic young lady that can and will speak for herself. They claim she is still being evaluated and another lawyer informed me they are trying to say she has Stockholm Syndrome in order to prevent her from speaking in her own defense. I need help immediately, as I do not know what these wicked people intentions are. Please Help me!!!

Dear Diane,
      Call the office and ask for me and let me see what I can suggest. Our number is 419-865-0513.

17. Jamie Duffy says:

My letter after the filing of re: Phoenix H. Is due to be filed in the next couple days. The transcripts for my case are 300 pages long. Allegation after allegation have been made upon me which I have no defense for. As the originating situation was I said that I was homeless to a nurse while I was in labor and cps bullied me for my precious baby claiming that I failed to provide her with adequate shelter. But the water in my stomach was her shelter. I never left the hospital with her. I also was never charged with any crime. With out meeting the burden of proof the dept.130 at WRRFRC has deemed me incompetent, denied my God given right to my own children. With too many falsified documents submitted to the appellate court to include in my letter with my side of this story. I really don’t know what to write in this letter. I have every bit of proof to support every correction as to the record. But what shall I include in my letter? I have some money for a lawyer but I only want to use one if Ithe can change the way that dept.130 stands behind the walls of the family courthouse violating the rights of natural born parents, operating with one goal in mind, making illegal custody arrangements, etc… help me

Dear Jamie,
      You will need to call the office to see if we have a lawyer referral that might help you. Our number is 419-865-0513.

18. Holly Daily says:

Hello, I need some advise. In 2010 my family was contacted by DCS because my nephew and non biologically niece were taken away from the mother for child neglect. My nephews father was in prison during that time frame. My nieces biologic father is deceased. Prior to this event my family was not allowed to see the children as neither sides of the familys agreed on the welfare of the children.My family had put in many complaints about the mothers parting, school attendance and leaving the children with strangers for days. Eventually someone reported the mothers behavior. The mothers parental right were terminated by the courts, at which time the mothers side of the family was unable to request custody because of not passing back ground checks. This is when our family was contacted and asked if we wanted to petition for custody. DCS suggested that take in both children so that we did not separate brother and step sister. In 2015 my niece started acting up in school, drugs, fights skipping, lying. We figured it was a teenage thing until we noticed a pattern from school to school. Looking into her behavior we found that she had been making contact with her biological side of the family and mother from cell phones from school. Which is a court order no contact. Once we addressed this with her she really started to act out, running away. Telling everyone and anyone who would listen that she was being abused, at which time DCS looked into her allegations and found no warrant. Plus she admitted making it up because she does not like rules. She has ran away 6 times and is only 14years. She made a false report to police that she was picked up from school at gun point and given drugs. She ran away and missed her court date. So she had a warrant out for her. She was picked up. She stated she was acting out because she wants to be with her biological side the family. Against our better judgment and with DCS supervising we agreed that we would let her try it our with her grandmother for 6 months. It was ordered that she stay out of trouble comply with the many court orders. We know for a FACT that she is not complying with the orders. We do not want her back as she made up so many false allegation and our family is afraid to have her around because of the severity of false accusations. My nieces biologic aunt works with DCS and was hiding her out when she ran away the first time, which we have pictures to prove it. The aunt was notified by the police 2 weeks before the picture was taken to notify them if she sees her. I do feel she had a moral obligation and legal one to report her to the cops. DCS asked us to give custody to the grandmother. I feel that they want us to do it. Because if they petition they will have to run a background check, and they know the grandmother will not pass one. Sense we told them that they have been rude, telling us to leave things alone or they we open a investigation and prove we are unfit and asked us if that is what we want. It gets much worse as now we have forced to keep a journal…..

Dear Holly,
      Keeping a journal is a very good thing for you. Keep all receipts also! This young lady is old enough to know she is actively participating in lies based off of what you are saying. You should be afraid of being accused by her. I know it sounds heartless but sometimes you have to love kids enough to let them go. It might not be a bad idea if you can get the girl to clear you of any wrong doing to give her what she wants. I am sure you have heard the phrase “be careful of what you ask for” Grandma may need to experience a little taste of this child. I am not sure the police will help you in this situation and as you push I would not be surprised if the girl pushes back harder. You might want to talk to a lawyer about your options.